With old-man winter knocking on our door, we would like to share some Winter Tips and Tricks that we received from our friends at Trac Solutions of Western Wisconsin & Steamatic Restoration & Cleaning. Here are some suggestions you should keep in mind this winter to prevent damage to your home.
– Turn off outdoor water and unplug garden hoses.
– Change all furnace filters.
– Keep your furnace running at 50 degrees or above.
– If you leave for extended periods of time, be sure to have someone look over your home periodically.
– Never leave fires unattended, whether it be a candle or a fireplace.
– Keep an emergency kit under your kitchen sink and in your car
– Invest in pipe insulation if you know your home and pipes are susceptible to freezing
– Keep garage doors closed to trap in heat
– In severely cold weather, keep water dripping and keep cabinets open to prevent frozen pipes
– Make sure you have enough insulation in your attic and basement
– Remove excess snow from areas in your roof that may form ice dams